ORMOND BEACH HISTORIC SURVEY
To people traveling south to Daytona Beach, ORMOND BEACH is the large town on the north side that shares some of the great hard sands along the Atlantic Ocean. In reality ORMOND BEACH has a lot of interesting history.
The town is named after JAMES ORMOND, an colorful Anglo-Irish-Scotch naval officer who helped the Spanish in the war with Napoleon. As a reward King Ferdinand VII gave him land in Spanish Florida to develop plantations. Unfortunately, the purchase of Florida by the United States curtailed Ormond�s plans and for decades the area was a homestead for planters and farmers.
In 1886 the arrival of the St. John & Halifax Railroad gave the community access to the North and winter visitors. In 1888 JOHN ANDERSON and JAMES DOWNING built the impression ORMOND HOTEL, which was purchased two years later by tycoon HENRY FLAGLER. The lovely resort survived until 1992 when it was demolished for a condo. Only the hotel cupola survives in a nearby park.
.Flagler hosted one of his own business pals JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER, who loved Ormond so much he built a winter residents THE CASEMENTS (1914) which stands today as the city�s cultural center. The original shingle style was by Dr. Harwood Huntington but there have been public additions in 1972.
In 1902, attracted by the hard sands and wealthy investors, automobile pioneers like RANSOM OLDS and ALEXANDER WINTON began to use the empty hard sands for testing automobiles. Soon ORMOND BEACH became known as the �Birthplace of Speed.� With Dayton�s racetrack complex to the south, hot automobiles remain part of the region�s history.
The ORMOND BEACH WOMAN�S CLUB is better known to many as the ANDERSON PRICE MEMORIAL LIBRARY. Located at 42 North Beach Street, the building is a Classical Revival showcase.
The site of the ORMOND GARAGE (1905) , built by Henry Flagler at 79 East Grenada Avenue is still visited by automobile buffs who don�t realize the building burnt to the ground in 1976. This was the center of racing activity for the town � a garage here automobile dreams were made and destroyed.
.At 311 John Anderson Highway is THE HAMMOCKS (1904), a simple three-story shingle house built by pioneer developer Joseph D. Price.
One of the most impressive winter residences in Ormond Beach is the DIX HOUSE at 178 North Beach Street.�� The frame house with a two-story veranda was built by the William McNary family for the wife�s two sisters Ruth and Eliza Dix.� It was in this house in 1880 the pioneers (even though many came from Connecticut) decided to rename the town Ormond rather than the original New Britain, Florida.
More Southern in appearance is THE PORCHES (1883) at 176 South Beach Street. It�s double-balconied design gives it a plantation fa�e.
Very impressive is the winter home of New York merchant ALEXANDER MILLAR LINDSAY, a Scotchman who named his place ROWALLAN (1913). The mansion is at 253 John Anderson Highway.
Somewhat hidden by vegetation is TALAHLOKA(1886), a winter residence at 19 Orchard Lane.� The two-story structure is constructed mainly of palmetto logs and is built in the style of Upstate New York hunting lodges.
The rustic JOHN ANDERSON LODGE at 71 Orchard Lane was the residence of John Anderson, Ormond�s great promoter and community activist.� It is one of seven winter residences that are located at this site, a reflection of Ormond Beach�s status as the place for successful Northerners to winter.
The ORMOND BEACH FIREHOUSE (1935-37) at 160 East Granada Boulevard was the city�s only WPA Project, but the structure housed both fire and police departments and a three cell jail. It is now home to a large legal firm.
Once the focal point of some of America�s richest tycoons, the ORMOND YACHT CLUB BUILDING at 63 North Beach Street looks a little wayward and homeless. Designed by S. H. GOVE in 1910 the frame vernacular structure needs a new career.
The three-story LIPPINCOTT MANSION (also known as Melrose Hall) looks impressive with its curved tower and location at 150 South Beach Street. The 1894 weatherboard and shingle design is very eclectic.